Saturday, September 20, 2014

Lecture One: Fundamentals of Social Media and Social Media Analytics

In the first lecture, the fundamentals of Social Media and Social Media Analytic were introduced.

Lecture Summary

 This lecture included the following areas:
  1. What are social networking and social media?
  2. The key technology that empowers social media - Web 2.0.
  3. The study of social media - science and engineering
  4. Understanding the Users
    1. Behaviorist Approach
    2. Social Cognition Approach
  5. Dokdo/Takeshima - An example of wikipedia
  6. Social media analytic - concerned with developing and evaluating informatics tools and frameworks to extract, analyze, summarize, and visualize information
    1. Not only data mining and statistical analysis
    2. An interdisciplinary area involving BOTH humanities and technologies
  7. Social media analysis - focus on the “analysis” component within social media analytics
    1. Aims for conducting social media analysis
  8. Work flow of social media analytic
    1. Social media
    2. Data collection
    3. Analysis and development
    4. Interpretation and presentation of results
    5. Applications / Decision-making / Prediction / Research Findings
  9. Some case studies

Notes

This lecture was essentially a high level overview of whole course.
Of the whole lecture, to me, the most difficult idea is social cognition. It is a new term that I have never met before so I spent some time to understand its meaning.
Social Cognitive Theory (SCT) - People continue to influence and be influenced by the social environment surrounding them
 I wonder if I misunderstood this theory. It looks like common sense. I cannot think of how to apply this theory in the analysis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment